Locations and Driving Directions

postheader postheader postheader postheader postheader

City and FEMA Ask All Residents Affected by the Flood to Register for Assistance

Mayor Parker and representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and various City departments will be on hand to provide flood recovery information and answer questions about everything from filing a flood claim to debris collection and permitting. 

Fondren Middle School
7 - 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 3, 2015
6333 S Braeswood Blvd, Houston, TX 77096


Key Middle School
7 - 8:30 p.m., Thursday, June 4, 2015
4000 Kelley St, Houston, TX 77026

In the coming days, with help from the City of Houston and the Texas Division of Emergency Management, FEMA will be announcing the location of a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC), which will be a one-stop shop for affected residents to connect with FEMA staff, as well as City and Non-Governmental agencies.  In addition, mobile recovery centers will be established to help ensure that all affected Houstonians have equal access to the assistance they need.

What residents can do now?

1)      Contact their insurance company

If they haven’t already done so, residents should contact their insurance company (renters, homeowners and flood) and let them know about their level of damage.  They may need to send an adjuster to document the damage. 

2)      Houston residents affected by the flood can register for assistance by:

  • visiting on www.disasterassistance.gov
  • on their mobile device at m.fema.gov
  • or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (TTY 1-800-462-7585) (Video Relay Service [VRS] 1-800-621-3362.  These numbers will operate from 6am – 9pm Central time until further notice.

If residents need assistance in a language other than English, they may call FEMA and a translator will be put on the line to assist them.

When registering for assistance, residents can expect to provide the following:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Proof of residency, such as a utility bill, rent receipts or mortgage payment record
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

Once registered, a FEMA representative will call to schedule a time for a formal assessment of your damage.  Residents need to make sure to provide a reliable, working telephone number when registering, as well as have all of their damage documentation available when FEMA representatives make their assessment.

3)      Document the damage

Make sure to have photos, and or video, of the damage to homes or businesses so that FEMA representatives will be able to provide the best financial assistance possible.

Individuals with Undocumented Immigrant Status

FEMA assistance is only available to U.S. Citizens or lawful residents of the United States.  Individuals who are undocumented may make a claim on behalf of their child if that child is a U.S. Citizen or lawful resident.

If nobody in the family qualifies, residents are asked to call 2-1-1 to find out information about non-profit agencies who may be able to provide assistance.

What Can I Expect In the Coming Days?

 In the coming days, FEMA will be announcing the location of the Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) as well as the dates, times and locations of town hall meetings to discuss any issues people may have with the FEMA recovery process.

Where can I get information?

Houston residents can visit houstontx.gov/recovery for information and resources that will help them begin the process of recovery.  This website will have information from government as well as trusted non-profit partners.

Residents can also register for CitizensNet at houstontx.gov/citizensnet to receive information about disaster assistance available in their neighborhoods.

FEMA, State or City officials will never ask you for a social security number or bank account information in person or by phone (unless you have called FEMA to register for assistance).  Residents should never give out personal information to anyone who claims to represent the City, State or FEMA in person, over email, or over the phone.

Also, all FEMA and City disaster services are provided free of charge.  Residents are never asked to pay anything to complete applications or receive assistance from the government.


For more information, contact us at 713-515-5774 or complete our Flood Quote Form
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version


            9894 Bissonnet St, Ste 720 | Houston, TX 77036 | Phone: 713.955.4278

Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Facebook LinkedIn Blog